2017 Program Details
Greater Los Angeles Area
Check the Sites and Mentors page for site specific details.
Session I: Saturday, June 17 – Friday, July 7, 2017 (3 weeks)
Session II: Saturday, July 8 – Friday, July 28, 2017 (3 weeks)
Both Sessions: Saturday, June 17 – Friday, July 28, 2017 (6 weeks)
Session III: Saturday, July 29 – Friday, August 11, 2017 (2 weeks; for SCI-Arc site only)
Application Deadline: April 10, 2017
In order to be considered for the program, students must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Be currently in the 9th, 10th, or 11th grade
- Must be under the age of 18 for the duration of the program
- Be highly motivated, high-achieving students
- Have an interest in pursuing an advanced topic through an in-depth course of study
Some sites require students to be of a minimum age or have prerequisites; these requirements will be listed with the site description. IEA utilizes our portfolio-based application to determine eligibility and to match qualified applicants with the most appropriate sites and mentors.
Session I: $975
Session II: $975
Both Session I & II: $1,950
Session III: $650 (for SCI-Arc site only)
Scholarships and payment plans are available to students in need, and financial concerns should not discourage any student from applying. Please contact the Program Coordinator, Niña Abonal, at Explore@educationaladvancement.org for more information.
Program Fees cover:
- Weekly educational excursions and workshops
- 2-day Professional Development Orientation, in-person debrief session, and Final culmination ceremony
- Matching mentee with a mentor
- High-quality mentoring experience
- Laboratory and/or materials fees
- Direct support from IEA staff throughout the duration of the program
Students must provide their own transportation to and from their work site, weekly excursions/workshops, orientation days, and the final culmination cermony. IEA staff would be happy to assist with navigating and making recommendations for transportation options and routes.
Students are responsible for securing their own lodging for the entire duration of their program session.