2018 Program Details
Greater Los Angeles Area
Check the Sites and Mentors page for site specific details.
Session I: Saturday, June 16 – Friday, July 6, 2018 (3 weeks)
Session II: Saturday, July 7 – Friday, July 27, 2018 (3 weeks)
Both Sessions I + II: Saturday, June 16 – Friday, July 27, 2018 (6 weeks)
Session III: Saturday, July 21 – Friday, August 3, 2018 (2 weeks)
Monday, April 16, 2018
In order to be considered for the program, students must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Be currently in the 9th, 10th, or 11th grade
- Must be under the age of 18 for the duration of the program
- Be highly motivated, high-achieving students
- Have an interest in pursuing an advanced topic through an in-depth course of study
Some sites require students to be of a minimum age or have prerequisites; these requirements will be listed with the site description.
Session I: $975
Session II: $975
Both Session I & II: $1,950
Session III: $850
Scholarships and payment plans are available to students in need, and financial concerns should not discourage any student from applying. Please contact the Program Coordinator, Niña Abonal, at Explore@educationaladvancement.org for more information.
Program Fees cover:
- Weekly college and career workshops and excursions
- Orientation Day and Culmination Ceremony
- Matching mentee with a mentor
- High-quality mentoring experience
- Laboratory and/or materials fees
- Direct support from IEA staff throughout the duration of the program
- Personalized e-Portfolio upon successful completion of placement
IEA utilizes our portfolio-based application to determine eligibility and to match qualified applicants with the most appropriate sites and mentors. Applicants will be required to submit the following:
- General Application Info
- 2 Reflective Essays
- Sample Work
- 1 Letter of Recommendation
- Current Unofficial Transcripts
- Most Recent Standardized Test Scores (if available)
- Professional Resume or Brag Sheet
Students must provide their own transportation to and from their work site, weekly excursions/workshops, orientation days, and the final culmination ceremony. IEA staff would be happy to assist with navigating and making recommendations for transportation options and routes.
Students are responsible for securing their own lodging for the entire duration of their program session.