There’s nothing like hands-on learning. We provide ways for gifted and advanced young adults to explore a career field of interest and start applying their knowledge in an intellectually limitless and nurturing environment.
Externships Providing Leadership Opportunities in Research and Education (EXPLORE) program matches gifted and advanced high school students with distinguished mentors, hands-on research opportunities, and professional experience in their field of interest. With the support and guidance of volunteer mentors and IEA staff, students learn about working in a variety of professional settings and advance their skills through the pursuit of knowledge and exposure to optimally challenging learning experiences. Students not only experience growth intellectually and personally, but are able to make pertinent and lasting connections with their mentors and like-minded peers.
2020 Program Details Coming Soon
To be notified when information about 2020 Explore Program information, please sign up for our email list and indicate an interest in EXPLORE.
Greater Los Angeles Area
Check the Sites and Mentors page for site specific details.
Note: Each Mentor Site has varying dates of participation. Review the Sites & Mentors webpage for specific program dates for each site.
Application coming soon!
In order to be considered for the program, students must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Be a rising 10th, 11th, or 12th grader
- Must be under the age of 18 for the duration of the program
- Be highly motivated, high-achieving
- Have an interest in pursuing an advanced topic through an in-depth course of study
Some sites require students to be of a minimum age or meet certain prerequisites; these requirements will be listed with the site description.
Session I: $975
Session II: $975
Both Sessions I & II: $1,950
Session III: $850
Scholarships and payment plans are available to students in need, and financial concerns should not discourage any student from applying. Please contact the Program Manager, Niña Abonal, at Explore@educationaladvancement.org for more information.
Program Fees cover:
- Weekly college and career workshops and excursions
- Orientation Day and Culmination Ceremony
- Matching mentee with a mentor
- High-quality mentoring experience
- Laboratory and/or materials fees
- Direct support from IEA staff throughout the duration of the program
- Personalized e-portfolio upon successful completion of placement
IEA utilizes our portfolio-based application to determine eligibility and to match qualified applicants with the most appropriate sites and mentors. Applicants will be required to submit the following:
- General Application Info
- 2 Reflective Essays
- Sample Work
- 1 Letter of Recommendation
- Current Unofficial Transcripts
- Most Recent Standardized Test Scores (if available)
- Professional Resume or Brag Sheet
Students must provide their own transportation to and from their work site, weekly excursions/workshops, orientation days, and the final culmination ceremony. IEA staff would be happy to assist with navigating and making recommendations for transportation options and routes.
Students are responsible for securing their own lodging for the entire duration of their program session.