2020 EXPLORE Program Updates
After much deliberation, and the unprecedented rapid progression of COVID-19, IEA has made the difficult decision to cancel our Summer 2020 EXPLORE program. This decision applies to all dates and mentor sites for EXPLORE. We are deeply sorry that the current health crisis is preventing us from holding this exemplary program. We have been in contact with our confirmed mentors and, while they share our disappointment in the cancellation of 2020, many have already committed to the 2021 program year. For any questions regarding the EXPLORE program cancellation please email Program Manager Megan Figueroa at email@example.com.
To learn more about this decision please click here to read IEA’s full statement regarding COVID-19.
To be notified when information about 2021 Explore Program information, please sign up for our email list and indicate an interest in EXPLORE.
Greater Los Angeles Area
EXPLORE Summer 2021 Los Angeles and Bay Area sites will be added as they are confirmed with the mentors. Check the Sites and Mentors page for site specific details.
EXPLORE Informational Webinar
IEA hosted a free webinar to offer more information to prospective EXPLORE Applicants. IEA personnel walk attendees through the new application portal, share some tips on applying and take user questions.
Wednesday, February 19th at 5:30 pm PST | Click here to view the recorded Webinar!
Wednesday, March 11th at 5:30 pm PST | Click here to view the recorded Webinar!
In order to be considered for the program, students must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Be a rising 10th, 11th, or 12th grader
- Must be under the age of 18 for the duration of the program
- Be highly motivated, high-achieving
- Have an interest in pursuing an advanced topic through an in-depth course of study
Some sites require students to be of a minimum age or meet certain prerequisites; these requirements will be listed with the site description.
Session I: $975
Session II: $975
Both Sessions I & II: $1,950
Session III: $850
Scholarships and payment plans are available to students in need, and financial concerns should not discourage any student from applying. Please contact the Program Manager, Megan Figueroa, at Explore@educationaladvancement.org for more information.
Program Fees cover:
- Weekly college and career workshops and excursions
- Orientation Day and Culmination Ceremony
- Matching mentee with a mentor
- High-quality mentoring experience
- Laboratory and/or materials fees
- Direct support from IEA staff throughout the duration of the program
- Personalized e-portfolio upon successful completion of placement
IEA utilizes our portfolio-based application to determine eligibility and to match qualified applicants with the most appropriate sites and mentors. Applicants will be required to submit the following:
- General Application Info
- 2 Reflective Essays
- Sample Work
- 1 Letter of Recommendation
- Current Unofficial Transcripts
- Most Recent Standardized Test Scores (if available)
- Professional Resume or Brag Sheet
Students must provide their own transportation to and from their work site, weekly excursions/workshops, orientation days, and the final culmination ceremony. IEA staff would be happy to assist with navigating and making recommendations for transportation options and routes.
Students are responsible for securing their own lodging for the entire duration of their program session.