Academy Student Words and Works
By Alexis Hopper
When it comes to sharing what’s so unique and special about Academy, our students tell it best! This fall, we asked students to share what they like about their class, what can make it even better, and what classes they’d like to see offered this spring. We would like to say thank you to our students for their feedback, and share these highlights from two questions on our survey:
“My Favorite Activity/Topic So Far Was…”
- Subatomic particles.
- Building a beaver dam!
- The virtual microscope.
- Designing adaptive Xbox controllers.
- Building a catapult.
- Making story boards.
- Exploring and talking about philosophical arguments.
- Learning the elements and the rings of bonds.
- Talking about each other’s stories and giving feedback.
- Silly poems.
- North America.
- South America.
- The periodic table song.
- Structures and support design.
- Siege engines.
- All of them!
“Because of this class, I am able to…”
- Do fun experiments.
- Build cool stuff.
- Think laterally better.
- Tell better stories.
- Talk to other kids.
- Identify stars.
- Make chemical equations.
- Write and enjoy poems.
- Use Tinkercad to create my own designs.
- Have a digital microscope and make observations.
- Learn about the world and its cool features.
- Learn about different ways to think about life.
- Think in a new way about how to make things for people with disabilities.
- Tell my parents facts they don’t know.
- Tell my friends all this cool info.
- Have fun while learning.
Students also shared feedback on what makes Academy different from other classes they take. As one student wrote, “I’m actually learning more about 3d printing, just like how in another (Academy) class I was actually learning about how rockets and engines work.” As these pictures of student work show, there’s no better way to learn than by doing!
Thank you again Academy students for you sharing your voice and continuing to be a source of inspiration, hope, and gratitude for all of us at IEA. We look forward to a successful second half of our fall session and hope you can join us again this spring!
NOW ACCEPTING NEW AND RETURNING STUDENT APPLICATIONS
FOR SPRING 2021!
Session Dates: January 25 – April 26, 2021 (no classes April 5-10)
Early Bird Application Deadline: December 18, 2020
Application Deadline: January 4, 2021