By: Alexis Hopper
“In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you.” -Mortimer J. Adler
The impact of a book that speaks to us regardless of time or life circumstance is golden. It can touch us in ways that are inspiring, grounding, comforting, entertaining, and enlightening. Whether you are opening a classic you’ve never read before or returning to an old favorite for the thousandth time, books are ready and waiting to reveal something in ourselves and the world we didn’t see before.
Here at IEA, we all love to read! We know so many of our community members are often looking for resources to meet the needs of the gifted children in their life. Below are a few links we thought would be helpful for the gifted mind and heart.
- The best blog for gifted heroines, written by power girl and past IEA Program Manager NiñaAbonal: https://ieastaging2.wpengine.com/blog-girl-power-books-with-gifted-heroines/
- Books by grade level, adjusted for the high-octane reader: http://www.thekidstory.com/books-for-gifted-kids/
- Great reading resources where you’ll find books by topic, including literature that offer help and hope for gifted children and adults as they process grief and loss: https://www.hoagiesgifted.org/reading_lists.htm
- 12 pages of “Good Books for Verbally Talented Learners” organized by genre: http://www.watg.org/uploads/3/4/6/1/3461451/books_for_verbally_talented_learners.pdf
- Extensive database of suggested reading lists and books within books!: https://www.davidsongifted.org/search-database/topic/105273/entrytype/2
Also, this month, we invite you to join IEA in making a lasting impact on gifted youth by participating in our first-ever peer-to-peer fundraiser, the IEA Read-a-Thon. With your help, we will reach (and hopefully surpass!) our goal of raising funds to help advance IEA’s mission of supporting a diverse community of gifted minds that fosters a sense of belonging and affirmation.
Please visit our IEA Read-A-Thon page where you can view real-time updates on our fundraising progress and meet some of the amazing individuals that make our community so special. You can even take a page from their suggested book lists and reading challenge favorites and join our upcoming Book Chat on Saturday 10/10 and tell us about the books that have sparked your creativity, integrity, passion, and perseverance. We hope you are inspired to join a team, create your own fundraising page, become a sponsor, or donate what you can.
Feel free to share what you’re reading by using the hashtag #ReadwithIEA.